Tuesday, September 6, 2011


I was sitting at work one day when I came to the realization that I was at a crossroads in my life. Stay in my “good” job and actually start trying to apply myself so I can move up the corporate ladder or quit and find new work that I was actually passionate about. After thinking about it for a bit I knew that my time had come. I could not keep doing something that I had no passion for. I know a lot of people work in jobs they hate for various reasons. Pay, obligations, convenience, but I had none of these reasons. Plus the idea of advancement had very little appeal to me. Sure making more money would be nice, but I didn’t want to kiss ass and play the corporate game. Plus I decided that if I did advance, I would eventually kill myself. And so it happened. I went to my boss’s desk, sat down and said, “I’m done, it is time for me to move on.” The second I said it, I knew it was what I truly wanted. A great sense of relief soon came over me. I was free to do what I wanted to do. But rather then look for new work, I decided to make good on a question that I had been asking myself every few mornings for the last five years, “Is today the day I move to Australia?”

The proper way to quit your job
About a year ago my friend Patrick and I had been talking in jest about moving to Australia. We were never too serious about it back then. It seemed like just a pipedream. I mean how many people do you know who actually drop everything and move to another continent?  We were all talk and no action. We knew it, but we also knew that given a real chance, we might just actually try it. That seed of chance was planted when two other friends of ours became adamant that they were going to quit their jobs and move to Australia…Patrick who was like me in his work situation seemed intrigued at the idea of adventure and I saw this as an opportunity to finally make good on my morning question. Plus, it is always easier to have a drastic life event when you experience it with some friends. The four of us got together to have a little planning session. It was nothing too serious, but rather a meeting with the simple goal of setting a destination. After all, if we know where we are planning to go then we can actually plan to get there. And so after about two hours of doing some quick research about the various cities of Australia, we four came to an agreeable conclusion...Melbourne.

And so we each left and started to prepare in our own ways. But as it always seems to happen, life gets in the way and our two friends backed out for various reasons. And so once again Patrick and I were in bars talking about making the move, only this time it was less of a pipedream because we had a real goal in mind. We actually started to plan and the trip has become a reality…Truth be told, Patrick did most of the research and for that I will be forever grateful. But we are on our way, and this blog is going to tell of our adventures…hopefully.

No comments:

Post a Comment